After several months of reviewing leases by Tacoma Energy, HEP Energy and EQX for lands from Hwy. 1 just south of Caddo Lake eastward to the river and extending somewhat into Bossier Parish I am relatively sure that the target is the Annona Chalk.  The client upon whose behalf the listed land companies are taking or have taken leases also acquired a couple of state leases in the Soda Lake area through New Holdings LLC.  That and the recent permitting of two wells by Petro-Chem Operating Company lead me to believe that the first wells will be drilled soon.  The Mills & Co 6 #1 is a vertical well.  The Chevron USA Inc 7H Should be the first horizontal attempt at economic production.  Although it is possible that Petro-Chem is behind the prospect with some investor assistance, it may be that they are fronting for a larger energy company that would prefer to remain unknown until the initial wells deliver enough science to validate the play and help define the extent of the productive fairway.

CADDO 01 244950 MILLS & CO 6 001 29-MAY-12 P289 006-20N-14W 2152 CADDO PINE ISLAND 1700  

CADDO 01 244951 CHEVRON USA INC 7 H 001 29-MAY-12 P289 007-21N-15W 2152 CADDO PINE ISLAND 6210

Views: 11579

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, Skip, novice here again.  Why is the Annonas chalk different from the H. Shale?  They've both been there a long time.

The Ann C is much shallower in depth by over 8,000'.  It has much higher permeability, it's not "tight" like the shale.  Long time is relative.  The Ann C is Upper Cretaceous in age while the HS is Jurassic.  Big difference in burial history and thermal maturity.  Owing to the relatively shallow depth and natural fracturing, Ann C horizontal wells should be considerably less expensive to drill.  It will be interesting to see if Petro-Chem can improve on the well drilled by Rock Well Petroleum.

Thanks again!   Very interesting! 

Skip,

Coe at the Oil City Museum has one of my original patents and I'm thinking of loaning them my "Pegasus" on the "Magnolia Oil Sign", the earliest use of what ultimately became the logo for Mobil that I know of.  Its so huge I have to figure out how to move it.

I'm about 430 pages into writing a book that looks at the trials and tribulations of adapting technologies common to other areas into this field to allow us to change the way we have to do business.  You set up the discussion and I promise to play and share.

I had my choice to get back into the business 8 years ago just about anywhere but chose this area because I love the area, great people to work with, much like a 1930's agricultural area but we harvest oil instead of wheat.  Many families up here four generations in the business.

JR

Jay, I know Coe and the museum couldn't be in better hands.  The museum is very modern and professionally designed and constructed.  Every time the Sunflower Trail generates publicity I wish the media would mention the museum.  It's a nice drive through that part of the parish and while folks are up that way they should see the museum.  Even without another stop on the itinerary it's worth the drive.  I'm headed up to Mooringsport this afternoon for dinner with friends.  Let me have a little time to think about setting up a discussion thread for stripper well production in the Caddo Pine Island Field.  I think we will find some interest amongst the membership.

I just want to make sure I understand what happened here and this aspect of the oil patch (in North Caddo and I guess everywhere).  Is it ok to go onto a well's location and take pictures and put them on here?  I mean, it is regulated by the state, so it does concern the public.  So is it public land?

Thanks,

FY

IMO, two different issues, Frank.  There is nothing illegal or wrong in any way with posting a picture of a well site, a rig or anything else concerning a location on GHS.  However most well sites are private property, not public land.  So there can be an issue of trespass depending on where the picture is taken from.  If you know the owner of the land, they may grant you permission to approach the actual pad but it is wise not to get too close during operations.  Operators do not care for unauthorized visitors for any number of good reasons.  If you wish to get that close you'll need the company's permission.

I tend to use the plain view doctrine - If it is visible, and in plain view from off the location, its generally open for discussion, but if I'm granted access to the site by the operator or his folks, I'm not going to discuss, post, etc that information, unless it is specifically understood by the operator that i'm going to do that.  On occasion, and operator is happy to have someone post about their site specifics, and will willingly "leak" information or disinformation.  

Thanks for the explanions Skip and Dbob.

I guess  I am more confused than before about Mr. Reynold's actions.  If someone on the wellsite ask him to leave and never return, then he was prolly trespassing.  Even if he was invited, he wouldn't want to discuss well information on GHS if wants to sell his BlackStorm Production apparatus to them?  Maybe I missed something though...

If the well name is Chevron, does that mean they are the land owner right?

Hi Frank,

No doubt now that it was private property or the well would have been named differently.  I'd just been chatting with the folks I knew up there and it seemed like any other location up here where it is not uncommon to be invited to the rig floor and talk about what is authorized.  That was the case on their first well up here but then we were the sub-lessors.  I'm real happy to oblidge in staying well clear of their operations.

As far as BlackStorm, its highly doubtful that someone is going to bail off and try something really different on what is already an experimental undertaking.  We are working through some sales possibilities in Argentina and one of the concerns is being able to run the tubing through a BOP during servicing and that's not a capability we have engineered into the product system yet since the wells we typically employ the system on don't carry any gas pressure.

Ultimately that will get worked out because one of the key issues in producing horizontals, especially as the transitions from vertical to horizontal become shorter, is mitigating rod/tubing issues.  Having a flexible production system with no parts moving through the transition and to which paraffin would not adhere could have some appeal.

JR

Just want to comment and say that I have lived in the Vivian area (Pelican Lodge) for almost 24 years (my whole life) and it is good to be able to hear that things are still going on. You mentioned BLB earlier, and my dad, before he passed, drilled for him and McCormick so I have always been around rigs and such. I worked for Billy L. a few years ago, and after that moved on to bigger rigs with better pay and then in to production work, working on Cheasapeake's wells doing roustabout work, measurement work, and I&E work, but still remain friends with Billy L. This fall I am going to try to attend LSUS and major in Petroleum Engineering or BPCC and take thier oil and gas production course. It would be great to find a company around here, production or otherwise, to be able to work for while I attend school. But I will definitely check in on these threads and see how things are going, and if I hear anything from Billy L., I'll let ya'll know.  

Several nice and interesting completions reported today.  I don't have enough knowledge of the specifics to make intelligent comments, but appreciate any observations.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service