EIA: MARCELLUS GAS PRODUCTION CONTINUES TO OUTPACE TAKEAWAY CAPACITY

OIL & GAS JOURNAL, HOUSTON, Apr. 25  04/25/2014

Rising production of natural gas in the Marcellus shale play in the Appalachian basin continues to outpace the growth in the region’s pipeline takeaway capacity, which has led to supply backups in the region, the US Energy Information Administration reported in a weekly gas report.

Because of this fact, EIA observed, new gas production is unable to flow to areas of high demand, “placing downward pressure on prices in the region.”

EIA noted that this phenomenon has also “contributed to a number of natural gas wells in Marcellus remaining backlogged, with a Feb. 28 report from Barclay’s estimating that more than 1,300 wells there are drilled but not completed.”

EIA noted that several proposed and recently completed projects will provide additional pipeline infrastructure to relieve some of the Marcellus supply glut.

“Projects that have recently come online, such as Transcontinental Pipeline Co.’s (Transco) Northeast Supply Link, have expanded the capacity of pipelines to move gas north, into the New York and New England demand centers. Recently, there have also been several proposed projects to move natural gas from the Marcellus region south, reversing flows on pipelines that historically sent natural gas from the Gulf Coast to consumers in the Northeast,” EIA said.

Transco announced on Apr. 17 that natural gas shippers entered into firm delivery contracts for the full 0.44 bcfd of planned expansions under its Dalton Expansion Project. The Dalton project allows gas to flow south from New Jersey to Georgia on the Transco mainline. Transco currently has a peak design capacity of 9.8 bcfd, and flowed as much as 2.8 bcfd of Marcellus gas to the Northeast this winter, according to data from Bentek Energy LLC, EIA reportd.

Transco has submitted a request with the US Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for the Dalton project, and currently plans to begin construction in April 2016 and begin service in May 2017.

Views: 1689

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WSJ article dated 4/27/14 about pipeline issues.

Why Marcellus Shale Gas Doesn't Get to New England

Nearly 15 million people in New England live within driving distance of America's biggest natural-gas field, yet heating and electricity prices reached a record for the region this winter.

As states stretching from Massachusetts to Maine thaw out from bitter cold, questions linger about why New England hasn't benefited from the energy boom in the nearby Marcellus Shale.

The short answer is not enough pipelines. And the reason is an impasse between pipeline operators and power plants over how to pay for new capacity.

The problem is that pipeline operators want long-term contracts in place before they spend the hundreds of millions of dollars necessary to build a new pipeline or expand an existing one.

But power companies, which buy gas to fuel generators on a need-to-have-it basis, work on a different timetable. Independent power-plant operators must supply electricity to utilities at the lowest cost possible, and utilities are restricted in the extent to which they can pass on costs to customers.

The result is that the power industry long has been wary of getting locked in to long-term contracts with higher prices than necessary. Regulators are proposing a tax to bridge the gap.

"Pipelines don't get built on speculation," said Don Santa, president of the Interstate Natural Gas Alliance of America, which represents pipeline companies.

Power plants typically buy gas that remains once heating customers' needs are met. That usually is a workable strategy but not when the mercury plummets and gas demand soars. At one point in January, New England couldn't get the natural gas for electricity that it needed or couldn't get it at the right price. Nearly 75% of the region's gas-burning power plants sat idle. Plants that burn oil or expensive jet fuel were used to keep the lights on.

New England gas prices rose to a record above $90 per million British thermal units in January, according to IntercontinentalExchange Group Inc. Boston's wholesale gas price averaged $24.09 per million BTUs for January and February, compared with just $3.37 in Pennsylvania. Even frigid Chicago paid less than half what Boston did, averaging $10.79 per million BTUs.

New England's pipes are so strained that the area would need 1 billion to 2 billion cubic feet of additional capacity to prevent price spikes during peak demand, regulators and consulting firms said.

Some new gas lines are on the drawing board, but expansion plans are far from complete.

Spectra Energy Corp.  three years ago proposed adding 1 billion cubic feet a day of capacity to send more gas from Appalachia to New England. But power plants didn't sign up for space, and Spectra dialed back the added capacity to around 340 million cubic feet a day. The project won't be completed until the end of 2016.

"We can't move as much as the market would like to see," said Spectra Vice President Richard Kruse. "We certainly had hoped that the electric market would step up, but we understand why they didn't."

The demand crunch will be compounded as New England's coal-burning power plants close. In 2000 only 15% of the electricity used in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Maine came from natural gas. That has increased to nearly 50% as coal and fuel-oil plants have been phased out to meet tighter clean-air regulations.

The disconnect between pipelines and power plants has become a costly standoff for consumers, said Gordon van Welie, chief executive of ISO-New England, which runs the region's wholesale electricity markets. "We've lived with this problem for 10 years, and it's been getting steadily worse," he said. Without new capacity to move gas, the region's prices will only climb, and the power grid could become unreliable, ISO-New England said.

To break the logjam, the New England States Committee on Electricity, whose members are appointed by the region's six governors, wants a tax to fund pipeline construction. The tariff would be levied on power companies and ultimately passed on to consumers. Estimates haven't been released on how much consumers would have to pay.

Pipeline operators generally support the tariff proposal. A spokesman for Kinder Morgan Energy Partners  LP expressed hope that the tax would bridge the funding gap. The company is moving forward with a plan to add 1 billion cubic feet a day of gas capacity to its line that sends Marcellus Shale gas to New England.

The New England Ratepayers Association said a diverse supply, including coal, was the way to temper prices. "We love natural gas, but I don't think building capacity to 60% or 70% of the region's power-generating capacity is a good idea," said association President Marc Brown.

Some New England utilities said recently that they would be willing to sign long-term contracts with pipelines if they could be ensured a way to recoup the cost.

France's GDF Suez SA, which has 1,400 megawatts of natural-gas-fired generation in New England, said the solution isn't to flood the region with more gas it rarely needs but to better coordinate natural-gas supply and electricity demand.

Public funding for a massive pipeline-building program, said GDF executive Frank Katulak, is like "trying to kill a cockroach with a sledgehammer."

Public electric utilities and merchant power generators may be hesitant to commit to long term NG supply contracts but the chemical and LNG industries do not seem to have that problem.  Instead of moving north  to supply electric generation needs Marcellus supply may be coming south.

WILLIAMS TO SUPPLY SABINE PASS LNG VIA GULF TRACE

HOUSTON, Apr. 25 04/25/2014 By Christopher E. Smith OGJ Senior Technology Editor

Williams Partners LP and its wholly owned subsidiary Transcontinental Gas Pipe Line Co. LLC (Transco) plan to build Gulf Trace, a 1.2-million dekatherm/day (1.16 bcfd) expansion of the Transco pipeline system to serve Cheniere Energy Partners LP’s Sabine Pass Liquefaction project being developed in Cameron Parish, La. Sabine Pass Liquefaction LC will be Gulf Trace’s anchor shipper. Williams will hold a binding open season, scheduled to end May 8, to gauge additional market interest in the expansion.

The Gulf Trace project will make Transco’s production-area mainline and southwest Louisiana lateral systems bidirectional from Station 65 in St. Helena Parish, La. to Cameron Parish, La. In addition to the pipeline reversal, Williams plans to add an 8-mile 36-in. OD lateral pipeline and two compressor stations to provide firm transportation service to Sabine Pass LNG.

Williams estimates Gulf Trace will cost about $300 million, with a target in-service date of early 2017, subject to regulatory approvals.

The Sabine Pass LNG export plant is under construction and scheduled to be completed in phases starting as early as fourth-quarter 2015. Once complete, the Sabine Pass LNG terminal will be the first large-scale LNG export site operating in the US. Sabine Pass Liquefaction’s project is supported by long-term contacts with several LNG off-take shippers, including GAIL (India) Ltd., BG Group, and Gas Natural Fenosa (OGJ Online, Dec. 12, 2011).

Unrelated to Gulf Trace, Williams said it is pursuing several other large-volume projects to serve growing domestic demand for natural gas. By yearend 2017, Williams Partners expects to add roughly 3.4 million dekatherms (3.3 bcfd) of natural gas transportation capacity delivering northeast supplies via expansions including the Dalton Expansion Project (OGJ Online, June 1, 2012), Atlantic Sunrise (OGJ Online, Feb. 21, 2014), Leidy Southeast (OGJ Online, Aug. 3, 2012), Virginia Southside (OGJ Online, Nov. 22, 2013), and others.

skip,

the petrochems and liquifiers are 'banking' on buying domestic gas as their 'raw material' at prices way that are under the world prices for their manufactured products: petrochemicals, primarily derived from gas liquifiables, and lng which by definition is 'made' from methane.

as of now, the 'world view' is that in so doing, its a safe bet. and if that wasn't the perception 'bankers' wouldn't be coughing up all the shekels that're funding a good portion of the new build preochem and lng facilities

the regulated gas utilities look at things from a different point of view.  note: gas utilities make no money on the gas they buy/resell. rather, they make their money earning a regulated rate of return on their rate base assets.

so, there's no benefit to them if they 'go long' at what later turns out to be a good price; any benefit is passed on to the customers.

on the other hand, if they were to go long at a price that was later seen to be way over market, the rate payers would commence to raise bloody hell when their gas bills went up.

note: the best ears in the world belong to the bureaucrats that regulate the gas utilities. upon hearing of the customers 'pain', the regulators would then release the hounds of hell on any utility that 'guessed' wrong.

so, from a gas utility executive's point of view in going long: it's heads you win and tails i loose. now, they're not the sharpest tools in the kit, but they can figure this proposition out. 

imo, there's a misconception about the economics of a new build pl. there, the 'bankers' couldn't care less if gas never  flowed though a project they financed. for all they care, you could grow mushrooms in the thing.

what they care about is that the pl is able to sell all of the pl's transportation capacity to customers on a firm basis, i.e. use or pay basis for a couple of decades. 

if a pl project makes economic sense from the bankers perspective, it will get built. and, they're 'agnostic' as to whether the shippers buy short term, long term or even no gas at all.

p.s. of tgpl's two announced bidirectional flow projects, the dalton expansion project is, imo, the more interesting. it involves installing 'plumbing' at their existing compression stations that would serve to let gas move north in one setting of the valves and south with the other.w/dalton they'll be able to recieve marcellus via existing pl interconnects and ship it reverse flow south to their southern growth markets such as fl, sc, nc, ga, ect. and to flow, north, when it was cold up there.

the recently announced gulf trace project would do the same thing except its on existing pipe on the gom coast, but, imo, its likelihood of being built isn't nearly as good as dalton's because every pl on the coast has surplus capacity these days

i've just now proof read my post, above.

in addition to several other minor errors, in the second line of the fifth paragraph from the bottom, i used the word 'never' when i should have used the word 'ever'.

sorry for the sloppiness.

Jim not to be putting your writing style down in any sort of way but you tend to abridge the use of some words that many here on GHS can't relate to your meaning (ie "pl" for pipeline). That is an easy one for me but I can see a problem with others trying to understand what you are saying. I am not a very good speller, so I sometimes make mistakes but they may still sound a little like the words. You are one of the more educated posters here on GHS, been there and done that, but some of the folks are not in the same biz as you and what you may take for granted as everyone understanding may be Greek to them.

td,p, 

your points are taken and understood, sir.

jim weyland

p.s. all through school, i couldn't write clearly or concisely to save my life. and, i still can't. the strategy i came up with in school for hand written test answers was that i'd write as messily as possible. but, i'd clean up my hand writing for the few fifty cent words i'd lay in, here and there. that strategy, got me through classes that i'd never pass today w/the kids all having to submit things via a computer.

p.p.s if not for spell-check, my writing would be at or below the level of ned and his first reader.

Jim remember Dion's post from the other day? It was loaded with fifty cent words.

i think this article gives some insight as to the state of pipeline affairs, today.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-28/boardwalk-says-bluegrass-n...

There was a lot of opposition the the Bluegrass Pipeline in Kentucky where they would have had to lay some new pipe. Plus the Kinder Morgan/Mark West Y-Grade looks like it might get approved. I am kinda thinking like the Boardwalk people that it may be a year or two too early.

TD:

Oh, fine... Throw me under the bus.

Seriously, Jim, your strategy is one that worked great for me through high school and college whilst writing technical papers. Where my bubble was burst was a college freshman writing class. My first assignment was a fairly simple persuasive paper. I used all those wonderful 25-cent (and up) words that I was encouraged to learn and use for taking standardized tests and getting into college and generally coming off as knowing what one is talking about. I got the paper back the next week with a big fat C and enough red ink that it looked as if someone has bled on the page. After reading the comments and incredulously circled and question-marked words and usage, I marched right up to the teacher at the end of class and asked how my paper could have been that bad. I used "good" words and used them properly - no comma splices, no run-ons, no split infinitives, etc.

The response I got was, "I read your paper. I saw the grammar; I even looked up some of the words that you used. But, this is a writing class - you have to be able to communicate effectively, and use words that your audience can understand. Nobody wants to have a dictionary next to them as they read. You've already lost your audience."

It's something I struggle with at times, and it's especially difficult when dealing with technical subjects for which we have a wont to create words to convey entire principles chiefly to not have to explain the entire concept every time that concept is employed.

The flip side of this is of course that we embrace the use and transformation of these words not only as shorthand for concepts but also to create a context. In a world where more and more we rely upon the 'sound bite', the description 'in 25 words or less', or the 'executive summary', the control of the context becomes paramount. For instance, at the moment, "frac(k)ing" is a word that has been contorted well behind its original conceptual purpose and thanks to anti-industry forces now triggers a knee jerk contempt and revulsion not seen since The China Syndrome (still evocative, even after Chernobyl and Fukushima, though not as much among the youngest of us). Thus, for the sake of brevity, we end up losing the communication of the concept for all the other symbolism and other attachments to the word or phrase, to the detriment of conveying all of the ideas (or, alternately, only conveying the set of ideas that one particular group wants attached to a word or phrase). So, probably in error at times but with all too good intentions, I still find myself using a hundred words where ten might do, for fear of not doing the justice of a proper thoughtful response.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service